My name is Erica L. Ayala and I am an NYC-based freelance sportswriter. I prioritize covering women’s hockey, women’s basketball, and women’s soccer. In July 2019, I took the leap to become a full-time freelancer. It’s been a wild ride and I’ve learned a lot, but I’m having a great time!
Freelance Sports Writing
- The New York Times: The biggest W.N.B.A free agency moves of 2021
- Sports Illustrated: The Legend of Air Swoopes and the Quest for a New Women’s Signature Shoe
- Forbes Sports Money: OL Reign Debut New Kits, Place Black Women-Led Collective Front And Center
- Deadspin: The NWSL’s Sky Blue FC Is Falling Apart, On The Field And Off
- The Athletic: ‘We have to get more diversity in those seats’: WNBA faces hiring reckoning
- The Guardian: The NBA wants female head coaches. But how feasible is that goal?
- ThinkProgress: From the field to the rink: How one hockey pro is bringing politics to the ice
I’ve worked in the non-profit sector since my college days (Go Elon Phoenix!) and still do some consulting. Although no longer with WCA, I still host a podcast for Westchester Children’s Association.
I also facilitate monthly conversations for the Westchester County Junior Youth Council. With most community spaces closed down because of the Coronavirus pandemic, I’ve been joining virtual meetings with youth to discuss the art of podcasting. Now more than ever, we must support young people and adults in their lives.
That’s me in a nutshell. Thanks for reading. Cannot wait to change the landscape of sports coverage, together.